As you make your way across the causeway, look north to view the eastern shore of Mannion Bay, known as Deep Bay (6). This area was first the site of The Belevedere inn, and later an extensive resort including a large hotel, cabins and tennis courts.Based on 1937 map.
Eastern shore of Mannion Bay in the roaring 20’s, with Union Steamships Hotel, tennis courts and The Belvedere at bottom right
Look across the Causeway to the overlooking knoll. The Belvedere once occupied this site adjacent to the pathway to the Union Estates Hotel Grounds.
The Belvedere was a welcoming presence to the entrance of the Rockery, the rose-lined path leading to the Union Estates Hotel Grounds and beyond to Pebbly Beach. As late as the 1970’s, this graceful house with its white-pillared verandah overlooked Deep Bay (Mannion Bay). Built soon after 1900 by Captain John Cates for his sister, Lillian, it stood on the site of the Mannion family schoolhouse. In later years, the Belvedere served as a residence for Union employees and finally, a sports club house. Imagine the fragrance of the roses as visitors walked to the hotel grounds. It was a romantic entrance to the wonders of the Mt. Strahan Lodge.
Union Steamships Hotel
This stately hotel lived on the north shore of Mannion Bay across from Sandy Beach. Under various owners, it was also known as the Mount Strahan Lodge and for a short time the Evergreen Park Lodge. It was the swankiest place to stay among other options like dormitories, cottages and camping. It was demolished in 1962.
The Tennis Courts
Continue up the pathway turn right to the roadway.
From the 1920’s until the hotel closed in 1957, the Union Estates maintained six rolled clay tennis courts. These were some of the finest in the Pacific Northwest. Every Labour Day weekend, the B.C. Lawn Tennis Association hosted the Pacific Northwest Championships. Aside from these gala affairs, tennis played a major part of the social life of summer residents.